How much does a PR campaign cost?


If a music PR ever asks you the question “Well… What’s your budget?”, RUN! 

This is definitely a red flag and this person or company is trying to take as much money as possible from you, in order to provide you exactly the same service and results regardless of the budget you give them.

Must-Read: My Best Tips on Promoting Music With No Budget

pr-campaign-cost



With Music PR, the results are determined by several factors: the quality of the music, the artist’s history and previous press and their angles, and the quantity and quality of promotion materials (teaser, promo video, live video, pictures, artwork, music video, etc..)

The biggest misconception of a PR campaign is to think that the more you pay the better the results.
It doesn't work like that, because PR has already done the hard work getting all their press contacts and developing their network. So, in any way, they'll send emails to the same contacts, whether you pay a lot of money or not.

A Music PR should already know the price a campaign is worth, and if the music is right for them, they will know the estimated results. Most music PR companies will work on a 4 to 8 weeks timeline, where they will be pitching your song and press release to influential journalists both before the release of your track and after.

The price of music PR can vary, from $1000 – $8,000 per month. The price depends on the reputation and experience of the music PR you'll be hiring. So if you’re looking for someone who is able to secure high-level press then you’ll be looking to hire a publicist at the top end of that price range. But there's no guarantee that those media will cover your music. 

In the end, no matter the PR and the budget, only the media have the last word, and if you're getting started in your artistic career, you'll have lower chances to be covered in Rolling Stone magazine for example, without an outstanding background.

I suggest that you hire a smaller PR for your first campaigns who will fight for you to get your first media coverage, build your "street credibility" and image.

Later on, as you grow bigger I suggest that you hire bigger PR companies. 

Must-Read: THE PERFECT CALENDAR FOR YOUR NEXT RELEASE

What does a PR campaign involve?

1) Writing the press release: To make sure that both the artist and the PR agree on the direction of the campaign, the publicist will write a press release for your approval. You'll be able to ask for changes, and once you are happy, the campaign can start.

2) Pre-release and premieres: Using a private SoundCloud link and your press release, the publicist will send out to blogs, and if you’re looking for a music blog to premiere your music the publicist will find the best possible blog to premiere your track.

3) Securing interviews and reviews: All the PR companies provide different types of promotion services such as online promotion, radio stations, and playlists placements. They can also sometimes provide marketing tools and services (ads, social media, coaching, etc..).

The more services you'll need, the more time the PR will spend on your release, and the more money you'll be paying. So try to negotiate a bundle that makes sense to you, where you are in your career, and to your music to get the most of your campaign.

To answer the question...

If you're getting started, there's no need to spend thousands and thousands of dollars on a PR campaign. I'd say secure $1000 - $2000 to pay for PR services as well as some social media ads.

As you grow and you sell more merch and music, save a part of those revenues for more budget on your next release campaign.
I think your budget should grow as your band grows.

But never be fooled by a PR who makes promises. When it's too good to be true... it generally is!
That's my honest opinion.

Must-Read: GET PREPARED FOR YOUR NEXT RELEASE (PR OR NOT PR)


pr-campaign-cost


I've experienced both sides. I know what it's like to be a struggling artist who needs to be heard out there.

In my artistic career, I hired many different PR companies throughout the years. When I look back, I realize that I didn't always make the right choices at the right moment, because I wasn't informed (how I wish I had read this post 15 years ago!!). That's why I always ended up being frustrated at the end of the campaigns.

Turns out I ended up taking care of my band's promotion. Over the years I educated myself and attended classes, conferences, and webinars. I developed my network of blogs, magazines, radio stations, playlists curators, journalists, music programmers, producers, managers, publishers, and record labels. I created my own label/music company. 

I now have a better understanding of the music industry as a whole - the big picture. And the results are coherent and consistent, which confirms that there is a logic behind all of this.

My goal is to share my knowledge and help indie and unsigned bands understand where they are and what they should do to make the best choices in terms of promotion and marketing.

Schedule a call with me, let's talk and strategize to make your music matter. I want to give you the opportunity to take control of your career. I'm not just any PR. I know music and all its outcomes.


Check out these articles too:

Popular posts from this blog

22 FREE WEBSITES TO SUBMIT TO PLAYLISTS

My Best Tips on Promoting Music With No Budget

Meet the Man Behind Radio TFSC, DJ Oli