Meet the Man Behind Radio TFSC, DJ Oli

Founder of Radio TFSC and show host, Oli talks about his humble beginnings and his love and passion for music. 

Oli-sftc-radio
DJ Oli of TFSC Radio



Coming from Stuttgart, Germany, Oli of Radio TFSC has always been into music. It's as if he was born to live with it. 


"I always have had music around me. I remember when I was 6, I got my first vinyl as a birthday gift from my oldest brother. It was Metallica's "Ride The Lightning," and well since then, I just need music all the time around me!"


Must-Read: INTERVIEW WITH Rocker Bob : "An actual DJ in a world of playlisters"


He loves music. He is surrounded by things that remind him of it. But despite being around music almost his entire life, being a radio DJ wasn't his initial plan. He became one by accident and describes his radio journey as a funny one :


"That's actually a funny, weird way. I used to play an Online Game and well to support the game more, as they lost a lot of players, some friends and me decided to start a radio. Sadly, after a short time, the game closed down, and somehow I was alone at the station. I first started to play some mainstream music but got pretty bored with it. I decided to explore new music and did a lot of research on Bandcamp, CDBaby, Jamendo, and all kinds of such Websites. I really fell in love with the Indie Music there and thought ha, that's the new way of TFSC. And well, yes, that was the start of the greatest journey ever. Meeting Artists, talking to them is really fantastic. I still remember when I got the first submission for airplay. I actually was pretty confused. Like a band, ask me to play them! This was one of the most relaxed moments for me."


Radio TFSC is a radio station playing music 24/7.  According to Oli, "TFSC is like a little Music Club where you can meet great artists and listen to inspiring music. The story behind it is that I wanted to give talented people enough time to get heard, and support them as much as possible."  


"About the station, I don't care too much about growth or getting popular. I want to see that artists get popular, " he adds. 


So basically, Radio TFSC is all about giving artists a mean to be heard and offer them the opportunity to grow through their music. 


Must-Read: MUSIC PROMOTION VS MUSIC MARKETING


radio-tfsc
Radio TFSC

When asked if he had always wanted to be in the music industry, his answer is quite surprising :


"Well, actually no. I mean, somehow, this is a dream right now. I have gone to concerts/festivals since I was 14. I love music and look really up to every single artist. This talent and being able to transfer emotions into music is for just simply mind-blowing. My primary goal, well, I started to study astrophysics and wanted to work in this section. More theoretical, not like an astronaut!"


For someone who founded a radio station and hosted a music show, Oli isn't a musician himself. In fact, the closest he ever got to be one was when he wrote the lyrics of a song for a local punk band when he was 20 years old. 


Just like any other child coming from a family of musicians, the pressure of diving into was is very high. At 6, he had to learn how to play the flute, but he totally failed at it. 


Must-Read: RADIO AIRPLAY AND THE IMPORTANCE OF METADATA


Oli may not be a musician, but a lot of artists and bands have always inspired him to know more about music. Especially Metallica. 


"I love to listen to Queen, and for sure, I have to mention Die Toten Hosen. A great german Punk band. And last but not least, another german Punk band called Normahl."


But why does he support indie music much more than any other type of music?


Indie music, unlike any other type of music, hardly gets recognition in mainstream radios. Having an indie band play in mainstream radios barely happens, not unless an indie label owned by a mainstream label.


Oli wanted to break the scheme and make a change. 


"I first thought of supporting different music. Not only the mainstream. Then I had the chance to talk to the artists. This positive mood and yes, the support made go this way even more. Every single artist I play deserves support. I came to that point. It would be sad if this talent wouldn't get more listeners/fans."


With all his achievements, what do you think is Oli's biggest dream? Did he achieve it already? 


As selfless as he is, Oli's dream is not for him but for the bands and artists that he loves. 


"There are two things. One would be a huge festival with all of you! Even it would be a 7-day festival. And the second one would be to see you all get a record deal."


Must-Read: ABOUT THE "PHYSICAL SUBMISSIONS" TO RADIO STATIONS


If you want to be an artist, here's his little piece of advice :


"Believe in yourself, guys. So many of you don't believe they are good, yet you create some masterpieces! I am always wondering how you can not hear it yourself! That would be the first step. The second one, be always kind to stations, listeners, and so on. With just link dropping, you won't get far. Reach out to promoters/stations/listeners by talking to them! And always be honest to yourself!"

Popular posts from this blog

22 FREE WEBSITES TO SUBMIT TO PLAYLISTS

My Best Tips on Promoting Music With No Budget